Volunteering at Crossroads
Volunteers and interns play an important role in the work we do at Crossroads Rhode Island. We have a variety of volunteer and group project opportunities.
Internships and Individual Opportunities
If you are interested in applying for one of the following internship or ongoing volunteer positions, please submit an application with a resume and cover letter via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will contact you should you be selected for continuing the recruitment process. We apologize for being unable to contact or respond to all applicants.
Unless otherwise indicated, volunteer opportunities are flexible during normal business hours - Monday through Friday; 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM. Opportunities are in the Providence Area unless otherwise indicated.
We are seeking a volunteer to assist with laundry. This volunteer would assist with escorting clients to the laundry room and ensuring that clients know how to properly operate the washers and dryers. Flexible hours, Monday through Friday 9 AM to 5 PM and weekends 9 AM to noon.
As we move toward our goal of ending homelessness one household at a time, we need volunteers to assist our clients as they move into their new homes. This opportunity would be on an as-needed basis, and volunteers would be notified when help is needed.
We are in need of a volunteer to assist our Donations Coordinator in organizing new pantry goods and donations as they come in, and prepare them for distribution to our clients. This opportunity has flexible hours.
Food Prep/Line Cook, Kitchen
We are seeking volunteers to assist our chef. Volunteers would assist with food preparation and service, food packaging, cleaning, washing dishes, setting up and breaking down the dining area, etc. Scheduling is flexible. We are looking for people to volunteer on Monday, Tuesday and/or Wednesday from 11am to 2pm. Previous food experience is a plus, but not required. Flexibility in scheduling is preferred.
Group Volunteer Opportunities
If you are a member of a company, civic group, or faith-based group looking for a one-time volunteer project, please send us an email detailing your interest. Please understand that group volunteer projects are on a project-by-project basis.
Typical group volunteer projects include:
- Assembling care packages for newly-housed clients or children new to shelter
- Helping out in the kitchen
- Cleaning up or organizing one area of our building
- Doing maintenance in our gardens
- Hosting a dinner, party, or other activity for clients
- Offering professional services to our clients at our location free of charge
Other Ways to Help
It can be difficult getting a group together to volunteer on-site, but there are many great projects that schools, companies, and other civic groups can take on from other locations. Even as an individual, you can initiate one of the projects below and recruit some friends to make a difference!
- Host a drive in your school, place of worship, or office to collect items from our urgent needs list
- Make bagged lunches for our shelter clients
- Sponsor a dress down day at your place of employment and donate the proceeds to Crossroads
- Complete a road race and have family and friends sponsor you for every mile you run and donate the proceeds to Crossroads
- Put together personal care item kits for the men and women staying in our shelter
- Sponsor a client's load of laundry by donating laundry detergent